Everyone have their doubts about Directory Submission. Well, who is to blame here. Directory Submission was once among the top practices to rank better. Today, the marketplace is saturated, and with a wave of new techniques and tactics, Directory submission seems utterly useless. But is it? Let’s Find Out!
What is Directory?
Web or Link Directory Submission is an important element of Off Page Optimization. It means submitting website link with other imperative details in a web directory. There are some directory websites, which can cost you a bit. Otherwise, these are mostly free of cost. A web directory can be taken as a phone directory; only this one has a list of websites in each category.
Role of Directories
Put Simple, Directories offer a quick way to get new link to your website. Although, you need to be selective for submitting your links to every directory you find. You need to evaluate the value of a directory; a directory with high potential is beneficial for your website. Following are a few tips to determine the value of a directory:
- Make sure it’s backed by a reputed VC firm or a company in your field
- Its age, a few years old is good enough
- Commercializing business, if a directory sells editorial reviews and like a lot of AdSense ads, it might not be the best bet the relativity of links, if there are many unrelated links on a page that look like purchased text links, the directory might be the best option for you
- Anything that looks spammy should be avoided
- Backlink Profile with a hell lot of purchased links is also not a good choice
- An ideal directory has strong editorial policy, doesn’t ask for a free and keeps advertising to the minimal
Is that Directory Link Natural?
A natural link is the one that you didn’t create. Unnatural links are the ones that you had to put in place yourself. This means even if you have invested a lot of effort and time in your links that you placed yourself, it’s still an unnatural link. Still, Google accepts high authority links that don’t have the following:
- Keyword Anchored links to websites
- Phrases including Add Your URL, Submit a Link or Suggest a website
- Name of the directory has words that show it exists to create links
- The directory boasts its High Page Rank (if it has one)
Directory Submission Still Works!
Directory Submission, contrary to popular believe is not completely out of the game. It’s still an effective tactic as it helps you to get backlinks. Still, it’s one of the best practices for Social marketing and content marketing.
Let’s get real here; Directory submission was never the only thing that mattered in SEO. Sure, it held more importance than any other practice. Still, it wasn’t the only thing. Therefore, it’s not perfectly obsolete. It can still boost your SEO campaign if you take care of other elements as well.